Sunday, October 08, 2006

I like my cable needle...

If the picture shows up, I have something pretty to show you. I am working on Cheryl Oberle's Kilkenny Cable Shawl, and am close to being half way done. It's in Black Water Abbey Yarn. I really would like to get this finished this week. Now, I love cables, but let me tell you, it takes me almost a half hour to twist the cables over the 308 stitches, which is done every 4th row. And this yarn has always been hard on my hands. I love the finished product, after it's been in a wool wash. I'm thinking the next time I might wash the wool first. Anyway, back to the cables... Now people have tried to sell me on cabling without a needle. First there was Amy at knitting camp, who said that it was the way to go. Then Marilyn of Black Water Abbey said you should cable without a needle, it's so much faster. But you know what? I LIKE MY CABLE NEEDLE! I don't think I'm any faster without it, and you know I like to find ways to knit faster. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coming from someone who's been known to walk into a meeting with a cable needle stuck behind her ear....the time spent catching and reknitting stitches which unravelled while trying to get the 2nd half of the cable back onto the needle far surpasses the 5 seconds needed to transfer the stitches to the cable needle & back again. I just wish I could find one that glitters!!!!

Judy said...

I converted to the no cable needle school about 1 year ago. It has enhanced my speed and pleasure tremendously. I am no longer losing the darn thing!